Friday, June 27, 2014

Online Yard Sales

As a first year teacher my very first thought was "I HAVE NO BOOKS!!!" Now of course this was a little bit of an exaggeration, but not by much! When I started graduate school I decided I'd pick up a few books here and there. I had probably accumulated maybe 10... I had also been planning on stealing my childhood books from my parents. I had to look at every book I took because there are always those special books (Love You Forever, Make Way For Ducklings and other favorites) that I want to save for my kids someday. 

After scavenging all the books I had probably about 70 and then this is where my obsession began. Savers is THE BEST place to buy books. My local Savers has a deal - buy four get one free. I've made about 3 trips and purchased about 100 books each time. 

After telling my mom how I thought I needed more books she suggested the online yard sales. You know, the ones on Facebook? Well these are GOLD MINES!!!!! People post all sorts of things: books, shelves and containers. You have to be quick when you want something! Also, make sure you mention that you are a teacher (it helps even more if you let them know you are a first year teacher!) people tend to either lower the price, or decide to just give you the items for free!

So far from the Yard Sales I've been able to get two shelving units (they need paint but that's easy!) and 5 boxes of donated books! I keep an eye on the Facebook in hopes to find some more storage items! 


No comments:

Post a Comment